[RE-wrenches] Sol-Ark/Fortress charging issue

Howie Michaelson Howie.Michaelson at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 21:58:06 PST 2022

Good Evening,

I have a frustrating charging issue involving 2 Fortress eVault Maxs
connected to a Sol-Ark 15k. Commissioned the system last week, replacing a
legacy off-grid Dual Stack SunnyIsland 5048s and 2-volt Rolls battery
system.  Initially, we connected one of the eVaults to the Sol-Ark,
programmed it to Fortress' and Sol-Ark's specs, setup closed loop, and
things seemed fine.  The battery charged at around 95 amps off the 20kW
Kohler. The next day we connected the 2nd eVault, went through the
procedures as Fortress suggested, made the necessary settings changes in
the Sol-Ark, and that is when the issue started.

Ever since we connected the 2nd eVault, we have not been able to get the
charge rate much above a combined total of 35 amps.  Fortress has pretty
much said that it can't be anything on their end (although the
communication with them has been very much limited and frustrating). They
say that nothing on their side would limit the charge rate to that low,
especially if the batteries were in a lower state of charge.  We've talked
to at least 3 different Sol-Ark technicians more than once.  We have
changed the setting between closed loop, % SOC, and Battery Voltage
multiple times.  We've tried dropping back to a single battery, both the
first one we had connected and the second one (changing the battery setup
and the Sol-Ark parameters, but have only seen at times a moderate increase
in maximum charge rate (up to about 40 amps total).

This small increase happened after a Fortress technician suggested that we
turn on both the generator and the grid charging toggles (the generator is
connected to the grid port on the Sol-Ark as per Sol-Ark's recommendation.
Sol-Ark has run out of suggestions at the moment, and are having us cycle
the batteries tonight and they will start another charge cycle in the
morning to see if having a lower SOC along with the firmware reload will
change anyhing (I don't think it will - it didn't the last several times.

Has anybody seen this type of behavior before?  I don't think it is a
settings issue, as several technicians have gone through them, I have gone
over them many times using the Fortress/Sol-Ark integration white papers.
Hoping to get higher level  tech involved ASAP, since I don't feel like the
lower level techs know enough to provide useful ideas.

Thanks,
Howie

*Howie Michaelson**Sun Catcher*

*NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer™*

*Solar Electric Systems Sales & Service802-272-0004*