[RE-wrenches] Megger Recommendations

Sam Haraldson sam at onsiteenergyinc.com
Tue Oct 11 08:00:25 PDT 2022

Wrenches,

In order to step up our commissioning and testing game and to take
proactive steps to spot isolation faults and test insulation resistance
prior to our systems getting PTO it is time to invest in a Megger.  I am
looking for your recommendations for being able to test both AC (single and
three phase) and DC (600 to 1000 Vdc) conductors in a wide range of sizes
typical to both residential and commercial systems.  Ideally the equipment
has the option to test to either bare copper or use MC4 leads.

Am I foolish to look for a single unit that tests both AC and DC or should
I focus on two pieces of equipment?  What is your experience with
insulation resistance testing through RSDs, MLPEs, and modules?  Are there
brands that specifically state this is a no-go?  Are there testers that can
assist in providing a percentage from + or - to help point out the trouble
spot or am I only going to find string-level detail?

Any recommendations

Sam Haraldson <sam at onsiteenergyinc.com>
Installation & Service Manager
<http://www.onsiteenergyinc.com/>