[RE-wrenches] Old Solar Modules

Allan Sindelar allan at sindelarsolar.com
Mon Sep 12 07:54:12 PDT 2022

The Photowatt is French. Early 80s most likely. Windy Dankoff imported them for a few years, late 70s - early 80s. They’re remarkable modules. I had (before I retired) several clients still using them. Every one is still putting out at or close to rated output, 40 years later. The only problem I ever encountered is the output studs breaking off. And years ago I used to solder leads to the ribbons with Big Bertha - a 100w soldering iron. I made clear up front that I wouldn’t guarantee my repair work, but it worked every time, and never shattered the glass.
The 50w Arco would likely be late 80s, as before that they were 32-35w.
The Solarex is likely a VLX53 from the mid-late 90s. The VLX had a thin frame.
Hope that helps. Other old timers can correct me if I’m wrong with any of this.
Allan Sindelar

Sent from my iPhone