[RE-wrenches] Do Sunny Islands and Fortress batteries play well together?

Mac Lewis maclewis1 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 15:15:21 PDT 2022

Hi Howie,

I haven't done a Fortress paired with a Sunny Island, but I have done a
large  Blue Ion battery bank work a quad stack of Sunny Islands.  You can
use the Namaka box to aggregate battery bank data and select "external
Li-ion BMS" and it will convey state of charge to the Sunny Island.

Seems to work well.

We ran it without the Namaka box for a while, and the Sunny Island SOC
algorithm really couldn't effectively track the state of charge of the Blue
Ion batteries. I suspect, unless Fortress has a way to "talk" to the Sunny
Islands, you would struggle with programming the Sunny Island to properly
track the state of charge. This really comes up with off grid sites where
you are counting on starting a generator at the proper time.

Let us know what you decide to do.

Thanks

On Thu, Sep 1, 2022, 11:11 AM Howie Michaelson via RE-wrenches <