[RE-wrenches] off-grid AC coupling feasibility

Kirk Herander kirkh at vermont.solar
Sat Jul 30 13:36:43 PDT 2022

Jerry-
The pole mount does not exist for a few more weeks, so I have time to think
about DC or AC coupling for it only. To clarify, the old roof 1.8 kw array
is functional and has been charging the new blue ions through an old
Outback pre-hub 60A controller(replacing it soon with a new FM60). So I do
have existing dc-coupling already to get around dark start issues for the
most part.

Right now I'm starting to lean towards 100% DC coupling, hooking the new
pole-mount array to an OB FM100 300vdc max 100A charge controller *IF* I
can find one in time. At least then I can see everything on one dashboard
(OpticsRE). Both Mate3s and hub 10.3 are already installed.

One of the other things influencing my decision is the request from my
customer to have it "grid-ready", which to them means the house is easier
to sell when the time comes, if the buyer wants to bring in the grid power.
I won't go into it, but it is a simpler solution (in terms of local
hardware requirements) to AC-couple the new array with these utility rules
in mind.

So there is no fits-all solution to AC vs. DC coupling, as someone said.

On Sat, Jul 30, 2022 at 3:58 PM Jerry Shafer via RE-wrenches <