[RE-wrenches] Trench Wiring - Ampacity Derating

cwarfel cwarfel at entech-engineering.com
Sun Aug 6 08:44:35 PDT 2017

I think the factors you have to consider include:

- the number of conductors in the trench,

-are they in a jacketed cable,

-are they separate conductors,

-are they considered "closely bundled",

-what is the distance of the conductor system once it exits the ground
before entering a conditioned space, and will it be in conduit.

Chris

On 8/5/2017 5:36 PM, Corey Shalanski wrote:
> How should we treat direct burial wires in a trench for ampacity
> derating purposes?
> - Should they be considered "in a raceway or cable"? [NEC 310.15(B)(3)(a)]
> - If it is determined that "spacing" must be maintained, what minimum
> spacing is acceptable/permissible?
>
> I would be interested to hear what means and methods others have used
> to deal with this issue.
>
> --
> Corey Shalanski
> Joule Energy