[RE-wrenches] Over voltage error message

Steve Higgins steve at surrette.com
Wed Jul 19 08:00:42 PDT 2017

Wrenches...

At my former employer this same thing actually occurred with their
controllers about 7-9 years ago... caused a bit of a stink back then until
we did some research on the phenomenon.   Jay was correct in that the right
circumstances need to line up for the customer and most metering even see
this with the way products  are sampling.

This is also combined with an effect called "Coup De Fouet"  or whip
effect. There are a lot of articles about the loading of a battery how the
battery voltage acts like the end of a whip, when you look at the DC
voltage over time on a scope.   This can occur in the reverse at the end of
the charge with the right circumstances.

When batteries are charging and they are near their peak and you attempt to
remove the charge, especially if there is no or very little load on the
batteries and you try to stop charging, the chemical reaction within the
battery is still occurring even without the source coming from the
controller.  It takes some time 3-4 mins with no load for the chemical
reaction to slow down,  during this time you can see a voltage surge, with
some of the testing we did we saw as high as 8-10 volts jump for 30-180
seconds...  If the controller or monitoring device "samples" the voltage at
this time you are going to get bad voltage reading.

<http://www.rollsbattery.com> <http://www.rollsbattery.com>
<http://www.rollsbattery.com> <http://www.rollsbattery.com>
<http://www.rollsbattery.com> <http://www.rollsbattery.com>
<http://www.rollsbattery.com> <http://www.rollsbattery.com>
<http://www.rollsbattery.com> <http://www.rollsbattery.com>
<http://www.rollsbattery.com> <http://www.rollsbattery.com>
<http://www.rollsbattery.com> <http://www.rollsbattery.com>
<http://www.rollsbattery.com> <http://www.rollsbattery.com>
Steve Higgins
Technical Services Manager
m +1.206.790.5840
f +1.902.597.8447  *e* steve at surrette.com
<#UNIQUE_ID_SafeHtmlFilter_> <http://www.facebook.com/RollsBattery>
<http://www.facebook.com/RollsBattery> <http://www.twitter.com/RollsBattery>
<https://www.youtube.com/user/RollsBattery>
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/rolls-battery-engineering>
<http://www.instagram.com/RollsBattery>
<http://www.instagram.com/RollsBattery>
<http://www.instagram.com/RollsBattery>
CONFIDENTIALITY: The information transmitted herein is intended only for
the addressee and may contain confidential, proprietary and/or privileged
material. Any unauthorized review, distribution or other use of or the
taking of any action in reliance upon this information is prohibited. If
you receive this email in error, please contact the sender and delete or
destroy this message and all copies.