[RE-wrenches] Fuse for 48 V DC

Ray ray at solarray.com
Wed May 24 11:51:38 PDT 2017

We've used the inline glass fuses for metering and battery fan
applications for 20 years without trouble.  I certainly wouldn't use
them over 5 amps though.  I actually tested these inline fuses on a 144
vdc vehicle battery bank once, and they blew without arcing or burning.
Of Course my name is not UL.  However, this is also the fuse that comes
with Trimetric, Victron E-meters, and the Zephyr power vents, currently.
Also, glass fuses were used in many DC power centers back in the day, so
they have a long and proven track record in the 48 v dc solar industry
for low amp applications.

I found a standard fuse holder from Grainger that is rated for 300 Vdc.
The regular AGC fuse does not list a DC rating, which is odd, since it
is used for DC all the time.  The ABC fuses are listed to 125 vdc and
are fast acting.

http://www.cooperindustries.com/content/public/en/bussmann/electrical/products/electronic_smalldimension/elx_1_4_x_1-1_4_/abc.brands.cooper_bussmann.html

R. Ray Walters
Chief Technical Officer, RemoteSolar.com
BS Mech Engineering, 1988
Former NABCEP Certified, 2004-2016
Licensed Master ELectrician, Colorado
303 505-8760