[RE-wrenches] SMA and Tigo

Matt Partymiller matt at solar-energy-solutions.com
Tue May 16 13:12:13 PDT 2017

Rhine,

I have another strategy for you.  The Tigo Rapid Shutdown works by
pressing the shiny red button on the Cloud Connect device or when both the
inverter and the Cloud Connect lose AC power.  The inverter obviously will
lose power every night.  The Cloud Connect would presumably lose power
during any outage (when you would want an SPS).  Tigo recommended we plug
the Cloud Connect into a UPS to avoid it losing power and prevent rapid
shutdown. The Cloud Connect apparently draws around 1 watt per Gateway
connected (just one for most resi systems).  A little ridiculous setup but
if you plug your Cloud Connect into a UPS you can also offer your customer
a functioning SMA SPS.

Moving forward it seems like SMA is integrating the Cloud Connect into the
inverter which obviously prevents easily wiring it in to a UPS.

Matt

On Tue, May 16, 2017 3:53 pm, rhine at abundantsolar.com wrote:

> I recently installed a SMA SB 6.0 with (24) SolarWorld 295s. 16 of the 24
> modules had Tigo TS4-0's. So there was 8 Tigos per string of 12 modules.
> This was a cool thing to be able to do. Where we are installing, rapid
> shutdown requirements do not take effect until October 1st of 2017.  This
> Tigo/SMA compatibility became a problem due to SMA's secure power supply
> feature. According to SMA when installing the cloud connect you are
> supposed to uninstall the sps components. If you don't, the s.p.s. will
> not work anyway due to Tigo's rapid shut down feature that can be
> activated via ac or dc loss. This was a problem because our customer paid
> for both. What I found out after calling Tigo was that they can
> deactivate the "PV Safe" feature on the optimizers. Tigo required the
> homeowner and I to sign a waiver to do so but this was the only
> workaround I could find if you are trying to use Tigo TS4's and the SPS
> feature. I just wanted to throw my experience out there.
>

> Regards,
> Rhine Chesshire
> Oregon Licensed Renewable Energy Technician
> Abundant Solar LLC
>

> (541)609-8273

Matthew Partymiller
Solar Energy Solutions LLC