[RE-wrenches] SMA and Tigo

Matt Partymiller matt at solar-energy-solutions.com
Mon May 15 07:38:56 PDT 2017

Mark,

We have been using Tigo for awhile on select sites.  The standard Tigo
solution looks pretty identical to the Power+ package.  Overall we like
the product and like that it now integrates with Sunny Portal. Tigo tech
support is pretty good to work with though rarely returns calls.  Expect
you will need to work with them for firmware updates which are not
automatic.

I am not sure we have encountered a failed Tigo out of the box (at least
not that we have been able to identify).  We have encountered multiple
failed Cloud Connects (internet communication device).  At present about 1
in 10 never work but the good news is they have a new generation coming
out with Power+.

I would suggest reading Tigo compatibility guidelines closely.  Tigo is
currently phasing out their 375W model in favor of the 475W model.  The
375 is not fully compatible with SMA (false arc faults).  The 475 is
allegedly compatible though we have yet to use the new product (it just
hit shores this month).  I don't believe 375 is listed anywhere on the
unit so differentiating between it and the 475 could be difficult,
especially since the part number for the 375 is a 4## number.  Make sure
you don't get any old units through distribution.

The system has a Gateway that wirelessly communicates with each module but
needs to be hardwired from the roof back through the Cloud Connect device.
 Three small gauge wires required.  We have been using an outdoor jacketed
600V 4-wire cable in conduit with DC conductors.  They say this can cause
interference for monitoring purposes but I have yet to see it.  Kind of
obnoxious finding a wire that meets those criteria (voltage, outdoors,
three wires).

Tigos can clip to module frames.  This eases installation and they seem to
be pretty secure.  That said, the ideal solution are module-integrated
Tigos which a number of manufacturers make but which never seem to be
available in the US.  Trinasmarts for instance.

Matt
On Mon, May 15, 2017 9:48 am, Mark Frye wrote:
> I was looking at the SMA web-site and it appears that the solution to
> address 2017 module level shutdown is basically to incorporated Tigo
> optimizers.
>
> That seems like a big win for Tigo.
>

> Has anyone used the Power+ Solution yet?
>

> Mark

> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org

> ml
>
> List rules & etiquette: