[RE-wrenches] Disposal of large scale PV installation?

Ray ray at solarray.com
Thu Apr 20 11:10:29 PDT 2017

I've been involved with re-purposing modules a few times; back at the
turn of the century, the idea of selling modules for $1/ watt even used,
was exciting.  Now a days with some cheap brands going for 50 cents/
watt new, its getting harder to make it work. Labor, transportation, and
storage costs quickly eat up the value.

I'm not sure what the answer is moving forward, but it costs money even
to haul them to the dump which is a horrifying thought too.  Maybe we
could offer a "pick your own modules" day, and let folks come and haul
off modules for their own use: no charge, no warranty, sign this
liability waiver.

This is something I think about often, because in places like Haiti,
they would love to have our old equipment.  Once again though, shipping,
import duties, and getting the BOS equipment can make it easier to just
bring in new equipment.  I don't have answers, but its definitely
something we need to be thinking about as an industry.  The better
quality modules ( like Sunpower) might make usable power for another 50
years.

R. Ray Walters
Chief Technical Officer, RemoteSolar.com
BS Mech Engineering, 1988
Former NABCEP Certified, 2004-2016
Licensed Master ELectrician, Colorado
303 505-8760