[RE-wrenches] NM Cable temp rating, ampacity, application

Ray ray at solarray.com
Tue Apr 4 19:50:28 PDT 2017

August;

Thanks for pointing out some of those code references, I'm always
learning new things.  In case Eric's situation is not subject to
physical damage (as covered in 230.50) I found that 230.43 lists many
more allowable options for service entrance wiring, but NM still is not
on the list. I think the confusion may be with the definition of
"Feeder".  Eric wrote that they tapped into the "feeder" between the
Meter and the Main disconnect.  I may be mistaken, but technically that
is not a feeder; it would be considered a service conductor.  Service
conductors are from the utility to the main disconnect (service
equipment), while feeders are all the conductors after the Service
equipment. I think the Old school guy might have won that one.

R. Ray Walters
Chief Technical Officer, RemoteSolar.com
BS Mech Engineering, 1988
Former NABCEP Certified, 2004-2016
Licensed Master Electrician, Colorado
303 505-8760