[RE-wrenches] Tesla 2.0

August Goers august at luminalt.com
Mon Mar 13 09:16:55 PDT 2017

All –

Yea, it’s amazing how much buzz Tesla was able to generate with their
Powerwall without even having a product ready for sale. I’ve been keeping
track of these next generation lithium-ion batteries so that we can keep up
with the demand of all the tech savvy early adopters here in the Bay Area.
It’s tough when there aren’t any products really ready for prime time!

Tesla is only releasing an AC version of the PW2 with built in inverter.
So, everything will be AC-coupled including to SolarEdge inverters. For
backup, you must install a Tesla supplied “energy gateway” which basically
looks like a 200 A automatic transfer switch used to isolate the backup
panel (also referred to as the critical or protected loads panel) when the
grid goes down. I haven’t actually seen an energy gateway spec sheet so I
don’t know the specifics of how it works. Current transformer meters are
required in the main panel and backup panel. There are spec sheets out
there on the net with more information including simple single line
diagrams of the setup. Dimensions are 45.3 in x 29.7 in. x 6.1 in. Various
use scenarios should be possible including self consumption, non-export,
and charge/discharge profile programming (arbitrage) but it will always be
a balance between these types of use cases versus keeping it topped off for
battery backup. I don’t have enough experience across a wide fleet of
installations to know how we will balance these arbitrage profile
programming modes versus always being ready for a power outage. In
California we are also preparing for the Self Generation Incentive Program
(SGIP) reopening and how to qualify for the Fed tax credit when paired with
PV. There are a lot of constraints to work with!

Our SolarEdge rep confirmed that they are focusing on pairing their
StorEdge product with the LG RESSU10H li-ion battery coming out later this
year. This will be DC coupled.

The obvious benefits of these li-ion batteries are a) small size, b) cycle
capacity, and c) ease of install. The high voltage output pioneered by the
PW1 allows relatively small wires between the battery and inverter. This is
a major benefit and is surely the future of where battery systems are
going. Lead acid is tried and true, but has limited cycle capacity and the
48 volt limit will always make for a somewhat bulky and slow installation.

August