[RE-wrenches] Tesla 2.0

Ray ray at solarray.com
Sat Mar 11 13:06:29 PST 2017

Simpliphi is another Li+ that is very much worth looking at too. It
comes in nominal voltages that are usable (unlike Tesla) such as 12 v,
24v, and 48 v.  It is also rated to 10,000 cycles to 80% DOD, which
actually could outlast the rest of the system.  It is Lithium Iron
phosphate which is heavier than the Tesla, but not prone to thermal
runaway.  I haven't tried them yet, so I'm just in study mode.  The
voltage stability as the battery discharges is very attractive.  Even at
high discharge rates, it holds above nominal voltage to 90% DOD.

My problem is I have not been able to figure out how much we can under
size these relative to their lead acid counterparts.  Being that they
have better capacity at high discharge rates, are less temperature
sensitive, can't freeze, and can be discharged 100%, I'm guessing we can
downsize them by about half, but I think it would really depend on the
application.
Anyone that is using Li+ (like Larry Crutcher) want to chime in on
sizing of Li+ battery banks compared to lead acid?  Downsizing is the
only way we could possibly start making these affordable.

R. Ray Walters
Chief Technical Officer, RemoteSolar.com
BS Mech Engineering, 1988
Former NABCEP Certified, 2004-2016
Licensed Master ELectrician, Colorado
303 505-8760