[RE-wrenches] Aquion Batteries

Tump tump at swnl.net
Wed Mar 8 13:13:29 PST 2017

I have dual Sunny Islands & dual SB 4000TL22US  w/ 20 stack on one and another site w/ the Aspen 48M w/ Schneider. I will say this; cost per amp hour of storage  sucks w/ the Aquion batteries. Both my client and I feel, that the batteries, despite there size have very little capacity. The “30”%DOD, that I have the SIs set to start the Gen set, charges the stacks OK but one gets better performance from  charging w/slower solar source. The Aspen48M is ~ 42X28X42” @563 AH of capacity, UnigyII 2000 Ah ~ 42x40x6’ tall. Batteries are defiantly temperature sensitive, operating should be ~ 60*. The set up w/ the SMA product, adds additional cost due to the required  BM200 AND  the Sunny Island Interface Device, and the SM100 unless you are buying theAspen48M which comes pre wired. (Aspen 48M which comes thru w/ the sensing module installed).  It is quite helpful, if this is an off grid install due to the fact that the BM200 needs and when things go south Aquion can toggle the unit off site and help w/ configuration & upgrades, to be connected to the internet. This install also needs the correct firmware to be installed on the SI which when  was delivered, the firmware  would only load into the master then shut down the system. Had to reconfigure as 2 separate units, load the firm ware and then reconfigure for 2 phase.
I have spoken to the manufacture re/ lack of capacity and was told that must be my loads…. NOT.
I would suggest that despite their hype these are quite expensive and require quite a bit more of labor IF you are wiring the un sensed stacks. And there is definitely a learning curve if you are using the SI.
My own system and what I prefer to push IS the SMA SI w/ the SMA SBs (make sure that you get the TL22s as the newest SB is not compatible for “ AC coupling” in this configuration) w/ the Unigy II/MK line. (same battery) These have buss bars, stack vertically , the interlocking stacks is perfect for earthquake locations. AND are totally recyclable.
Pictures  of the SMA install & insights of battery installation available, contact me off line.  TUMP