[RE-wrenches] Fwd: An interesting article

Jason Szumlanski jason at floridasolardesigngroup.com
Mon Feb 27 13:47:24 PST 2017

There are two issues that make the article overly simplistic I think.

   - As the author admits, the calculations only work for arrays with due
   south orientation and states that "Solar panels should always face true
   south."
   - The article ignores weather/temperature, which is one reason the
   statement above is not completely accurate.

For example, where I live the summer afternoons are cloudy and very hot
just about every day. Winter days are crystal clear with little haze. For
fixed arrays the annual optimum array orientation is about latitude minus
three degrees and 170 degrees from true north. The benefit you get here
from adjusting tilt twice a year is less than other areas may be for
weather reasons. In fact, you could possibly gain more by keeping the same
annual optimum tilt and adjusting the orientation twice a year (in a pole
mount scenario). In the summer the best orientation is somewhere east of
170 and west of 170 in the winter (presumably close to 180).

Granted, I’m now at 25 degrees north latitude, so the article is on the
edge of being accurate in my situation, but I know for a fact that local
weather patterns make the “due south” recommendation inaccurate in many
places, and the benefits of tilt changes can’t be optimized without taking
weather into account.

Jason