[RE-wrenches] PV ratings

William Dorsett wmdorsett at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 21 10:22:55 PST 2017

We began buying Canadian Solar thinking that their third party insurance
would cover when other module manufacturers were going belly up i.e.
SunTech. We thought this meant that their factories would at least meet
certain CS licensing requirements. But with module prices dropping to very
low points you have to believe there is a lower expectation of quality. So
at this point, the question might be whether the insurer (the Chubb Group)
is willing to cover CS modules because they are especially reliable, or
whether CS or its third party manufacturers will be tempted to lower their
expectations because they are covered. Apparently BoViet is producing at
least some of their product line and there must be tension between the
branding company and the insurer. They may be good and I've seen advertising
where BoViet is willing to insurer their modules for one year...not long for
a 25 to 30 year product. Third party insurance may have become more common
in the industry but at the time of our decision, it was only CS. I think it
is especially important to keep updated on this with new low prices.

Bill Dorsett
Manhattan, KS