[RE-wrenches] Solar World Wind Damage

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Thu Jan 12 13:16:27 PST 2017

Hi Bill;

Solar World customer support did come through yesterday with flying
colors.  They got hit by a big storm in the North West.  Right now
though, they are saying that we exceeded the 64 PSF rated  loading to
the back of the module. I've pointed out that that would correspond to
over 170 mph winds, so I'm not quite ready to concede the warranty.
Their engineering team is reviewing my information.
As always, the Wrench list experience is invaluable.  Are 170 mph winds
possible, outside of a tornado or hurricane?

*Whether or not Solar World stands by their product in this extreme
situation, I definitely stand by my installations.* I'm taking a snow
cat up to replace and reinforce the modules next week, then hopefully
get a little help from my supply chain after.  My repair costs will be
many times the cost of one replacement module anyway.

Yes, the 33 mm vs 31 mm refers to the module thickness.  I don't have a
version 2.5 frame to check the flange metal thickness, and it is
conspicuously absent from the specs.  I have a good micrometer, and I
will compare metal thicknesses of several module brands, because with
all the cost cutting, many module manus seems to be using thinner metal
lately.  As Jay pointed out, we're bolting much bigger modules down with
much weaker flanges, and the same hardware we used on a 75 w module, so
its not entirely surprising to start seeing high wind failures.

R.Ray Walters
CTO, Solarray, Inc
BSME 1988,
Licensed Master Electrician