[RE-wrenches] Solar World Wind Damage

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Tue Jan 10 15:49:52 PST 2017

Hi Daryl;

I wonder if the DP&W rack is allowing some bending or torqueing of the
module frame, that over time with thin aluminum causes  metal fatigue,
cracking, and finally total failure.   Funny both of our isolated
failures involved the same rack.  Also, I did more sluething and these
modules were the thinner (31 mm) 2.5 frame from Solarworld.  They've
since gone back to a 33 mm frame; version 4.0. I also found in the specs
that the back pressure these modules can handle is 64 PSF, so I can't
believe we exceeded that.  In dry, cold air at 9000 ft elevation, even
winds over 100 mph aren't half that pressure.

R.Ray Walters
CTO, Solarray, Inc
Nabcep Certified PV Installer,
Licensed Master Electrician