[RE-wrenches] Power Quality Test

Matthew Sirum matthewsirum at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 21:30:22 PST 2017

Greetings Corey,

I do not have experience with the specific devices referenced in the
contract language you have cited, but can offer the names of a couple
other manufacturers who make power quality (PQ) analyzers and
loggers/recorders.

Here are three:
Power Monitors, Inc. (PMI), Virginia, USA
Radian Research, Inc., Indiana & Mississippi, USA
AEMC Instruments (Chauvin Arnoux), New Hampshire, USA

These companies produce gear which many utilities and line contractor
firms use in their PQ testing programs.  I have worked with some of
the gear from PMI and Radian Research, but probably not their latest
models.

If it is unlikely that your company would have an ongoing need for a
PQ logger it may consider hiring a local/regional PQ test
company/contractor (or appropriately equipped engineering firm) to
fulfill this requirement in the contract you have mentioned.  They
could potentially perform the testing, review the logged data, and
prepare a report for less than what a new PQ analyzer logger unit and
software would cost your company.  If your company does purchase new
gear some manufacturers or their regional representative may come out
and train/assist/demo the unit with your technician/team.

SEI Professional Services may be of help on this issue too.  They have
members on the RE-wrenches list as well.

On larger or complex projects I like the practice of PQ testing and
data logging at a project site before the system installation as well
as during commissioning activities.  The pre-install data can be
helpful in seeing potential PQ issues before work begins.  The
pre-install data can also be used later for comparative purposes if
there is any concern or dispute regarding PQ issues recognized post
install.

Best regards,

----MATT

Matthew Sirum
P.O. Box 1227
Greenfield, MA 01302-1227  USA
phone: +1.413.773.0611
email: MatthewSirum at gmail.com

---- Original Message Below ----

[RE-wrenches] Power Quality Test

Corey Shalanski corey at joule-energy.com
Tue Jan 3 11:09:50 PST 2017

The contract for one of our upcoming utility-scale projects includes a
requirement for recording/analyzing power quality: "Submit a report that
includes AC voltage, current, impedance, frequency, the maximum and minimum
of ranges continuously during the 72 hour period with intentional and daily
start up and shut down trials. Devices such as a Candura Power Pro or Power
Site can be used to analyze power."

Does anyone have experience with either of these devices and can comment on
their use? Or else can you recommend a similar device that will fulfill
these requirements?

Corey Shalanski
Joule Energy
New Orleans, LA