[RE-wrenches] PG&E Net metering Vs Smart Meters

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Mon Aug 28 12:32:56 PDT 2017

Dear Wrenches:

Here in PG&E territory we have a unique situation:  In the early days of
net metering the PG&E accounts were handled regionally.  In the early
2000s, this was all transferred to corporate in San Francisco.  In the
process PG&E lost many files.  Over the years I have had eight or so
customers come to me to seek assistance renegotiating a contract that did
exist but PG&E has no record of.

This usually happens as a result of installation of a SMART meter.  The old
mechanical meters gave customers credit whether or not the account was in
place for interconnection.  The SMART meters will not give credit unless
the account is programmed to do so.

It was my understanding that a PG&E smart meter, without being associated
with a Net Metering account, would charge a customer for the energy
exported to the grid.  PG&E is telling me that is not true.  This makes a
difference when calculating credits for these customers when signing them
back up to net meter.

Does anyone have any information on how the PG&E smart meters handle this
scenario.

By the way, I have developed a modest expertise and some contacts to help
me deal with utilities in these situations.  I can offer to assist if
anyone wants.  Contact me off-line.

Thanks in advance,

William

[image: Gradient Cap_mini]