[RE-wrenches] AC Coupled Enphase

Drake drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Mon Aug 28 06:44:25 PDT 2017

Hello Wrenches,

I am going to AC couple some Enphase inverters and found some really
nice solid state, single pole relays to control them with. Enphase
says I must use 2 pole relays for the control current even though the
disconnects will turn off all power for maintenance.

Enphase claims that the inverters will not shut down reliably with
only one line opened. This does not make sense to me in view of UL
1741. Is Enphase correct in their claim, or are there other reasons
that both poles need to be opened

I want to use the solid state relays because the coil voltage is
between 3 and 32 volts. This would avoid the need to add voltage
dropping series resistors to protect the coil for higher battery voltages.

Alternatively, does anyone know of reasonably priced, 2 pole solid
state relays?

Thanks,

Drake

Drake Chamberlin