[RE-wrenches] Generator choice for Sunny Island

August Goers august at luminalt.com
Thu Jun 15 09:02:41 PDT 2017

Hi Wrenches, especially those of you who work on off-grid projects,

We have an upcoming off-grid project where we will be powering a storage
container with electronics in it. The loads are mostly 120 volt but there
is a 240 volt heat pump that might occasionally run. We’re AC coupling the
Sunny Island with a Sunny Boy PV inverter. So, we’ll be installing a
Outback PSX-240 autoformer to bump the Sunny Island’s output from 120 to
240 volt.

We need to select a generator for backup. We need a two-wire electric start
(in order to be controlled by the Sunny Island) and preferably a generator
that is okay just running 120 volt loads since the Sunny Islands input is
only 120 volt. Something in the 3 kVA -7 kVA range should be fine.

Does anyone have experience or ideas about what kind of two-wire start
generator we might select?

Thanks,

August

Luminalt