[RE-wrenches] Hydro Off-grid Battery Sizing

Matt Sherald matt at getpimby.com
Wed Apr 26 04:21:17 PDT 2017

Good morning!  I went to bed wondering if the off-grid battery bank sizing
rules that I use for PV systems hold true for hydro-based systems.  I woke
up and I was still mulling this over.

My battery bank sizing standard is to use the method outlined in the SEI
Photovoltaics Manual.  I would presume that since the charging source is
fairly consistent (day-to-day and hour-to-hour) that I could then reduce
the days of autonomy to 2-days.

I'm curious though if anyone has advice for sizing a battery bank for
hydro.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
--
Matt Sherald
PIMBY Energy, LLC