[RE-wrenches] NEC 705.12(B)(2)(3)(c) intention

August Goers august at luminalt.com
Wed Apr 19 15:29:48 PDT 2017

Hi Wrenches –

Now that we’re in the 2014 NEC, we’ve increasingly been using the NEC
705.12(B)(2)(3)(c) interconnection method:

[image: cid:image001.png at 01D2B920.B3AB5D90]

This is a great way of putting lots of PV on a panel when there are few
loads. As long as the total breaker rating (excluding the supply breaker)
equals the bus rating or less, we’re good to go. However, we recently ran
into a panel that had a lug subfeed kit installed in it.

Do you think the intention of the code is to allow something like shown in
this sketch?

Cheers,

August

Luminalt