[RE-wrenches] Conext SW 4024 with bad firmware

jay jay.peltz at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 09:39:32 PST 2016

HI Hugh,

Interesting problem your describe which I've not seen before.

I’m curious about your comments on Outback.
I’ve found them to be quite programable in regards to disconnecting from a generator.
You can set voltage and cycles. Default comes in at 60 cycles which is 1 second and way too long.
Setting it down to around 10 cycles  works with every generator I’ve tried, and from my measurements the inverter seems to be switching on cycles, not voltage.
But maybe I misunderstood what you were saying?

But I know in the old days before inverters got so programable ( or poorly programed in the case of the new SW) that out here on the west coast we installed a contactor which was controlled via either AGS or manual remote start.  It shuts the AC off in a hard way yes, and you sure might get a light flicker but you don’t get the voltage/Hz sag being a problem here.

And I’m not sure but seems to me that some of the older generators used to come with an internal contactor that did this?
But none that I’m seeing now do.
Maybe others can comment on that.

And finally I’m curious about how important the cool down period is.
How I set my generator run times, by the time its told to shut down its not running all that hard, which shouldn’t be a problem.
But again, I’ll defer to the genny experts here.

Happy new year

jay