[RE-wrenches] SMA 40 series DC disconnect

billbrooks7 at sbcglobal.net billbrooks7 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 15 13:09:25 PST 2016

William,

I was also surprised to see SMA go down this road (ala Fronius IG). I can’t speak to why they did this. I’m installing my first 40 series right now.

I have never supported covering the array as a viable method of removing voltage. It is far safer to unplug the strings on the roof if you want to remove voltage. Not sure why they did not suggest unplugging instead of tarping.

Either way, many jurisdictions will require an external dc disconnect with this new configuration—what a waste. If SMA were smart, they would put connectors in their dc connection box to be compliant with the 2017 NEC which would solve their problem. It means a design change. They must be expecting this product to be connected to a rapid shutdown switch box—that’s the only thing that makes sense.

Bill.