[RE-wrenches] Milwaukee M18 one key tools

Chris Mason cometenergysystems at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 11:16:02 PST 2016

I absolutely use a torque wrench on big electrical equipment, when
tightening 2/0 to 500MCM terminals. I carry an electronic 3/8 torque wrench
in the truck for that. When I do generators and large switchgear I regard
it as essential to get the correct torque settings and use them.
I use a set of three Filo torque screwdriver handles covering 1.5 to 4.5 Nm
with two sets of drivers, use them for all inverter connections.
I'll generally use the torque screwdriver to check a new panel, go over all
the breaker terminals once we have finished.

On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 5:01 PM, Kirk Herander <vtsolar at icloud.com> wrote:

> My strategy is to have several spares in a multi-bay charger, and change
> out when the battery reads 50% (2 bars). Subjective, I know, but we are
> talking in-lbs when tightening rack hardware, not ft-lbs. Anyway, I’ll
> report back to the list once I get my programmable M18’s and try it out.
>

> And I’m curious, how many of us actually use a torque wrench on the job
> with any regularity, be it rack or electrical connections? I have never
> seen an everyday electrician use one, even on serious industrial work in a
> tightly controlled jobsite. Every lug, connector, fastener has a
> recommended torque. I think we all have seen the damage heat causes as the
> result of a loose connection.
>
> The last commercial system I did, a third party was hired to audit the PV
> work. It was on the checklist to spot check torques. I have been
> spot-checking torque ever since.

Chris Mason
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer™
Solar Design Engineer
Generac Generators Industrial technician

www.cometsolar.com <http://www.cometenergysystems.com>
264.235.5670
869.662.5670
Skype: netconcepts