[RE-wrenches] Retaining Clips

Matthew Sirum matthewsirum at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 22:31:53 PST 2016

Greetings Adam,

Here are a couple/few thoughts which may be helpful.  Not knowing the
specific circumstance(s) or goal(s) these may or may not be
appropriate or useful.

Use the 4-8 circuit load center you mentioned with the appropriate
circuit breaker and retainer clip and do not twist out the unneeded
spaces in the dead front or fill them with the appropriate blanks.
Clearly label the load center accordingly and be sure to mark if no
other circuits should be installed in it etc.

Main Circuit Breaker Disconnect / Circuit Breaker Disconnect:  Usually
not too difficult to source 60A, 100A, or 125A 120/240VAC double pole
main CB disconnects.  Install the appropriate 60A CB you need.
Confirm the design of specific item you are looking at or ordering
meets the retained/fastened in place circuit breaker requirement.
Some designed for the HVACR trade for example may not have the ability
to retain/fasten the circuit breaker in place.  Also; be sure item has
the appropriate isolated or bonded Neutral terminal to meet your
needs, as well as the equipment grounding lug/terminal.  Disconnect
may be designed for use as service equipment and these may be separate
part numbers and/or disconnect may be field convertible.

If acceptable for the project, use a suitable fused disconnect switch
with the required 60A fuses.  Wire line and load sides of switch
accordingly for the circumstances at hand and to meet code and be sure
to label clearly identifying purpose and the hazards of the switch as
installed.  Comment above regarding Neutral and EGC terminals apply
here as well.  May need to order separately.

An appropriately rated panel mount double pole circuit breaker
installed in a small panel mount type enclosure may be an option as
well to meet your requirement.  This may be a good option especially
if you need a solution which will take up as little space as possible.
MidNite Solar may have an appropriate enclosure/box.  The appropriate
double pole circuit breaker may need to be researched with
CBI-electric North America or Safe Circuits, Inc. in Pennsylvania.

I have dealt with this issue in various circumstances before, such as
needing to install backfed circuit breakers.  I do not recall the
specific brands and part numbers used, but the major US market
manufacturers should have a solution to meet your needs.  Hopefully
your local electrical supply company can come up with a solution for
you, but if still in need I suggest calling Schneider/Square D,
Eaton/Cutler-Hammer, or Siemens etc.  Third party retainers may also
be available which could work with a load center and circuit breaker
you may already have, but be aware your local AHJ may not allow a
retainer which is not listed/recognized for use with the load center
and circuit breaker.

Also; we need to remember that in the case of backfeeding a circuit
breaker we must make certain it is rated for backfeed, not marked
"Line" and "Load".

I hope that I understood your question correctly and that some of
these thoughts may be helpful.

Best regards,

----MATT

Matthew Sirum
P.O. Box 1227
Greenfield, MA 01302-1227  USA
phone: +1.413.773.0611
email: MatthewSirum at gmail.com

------ Original Message Below ------

[RE-wrenches] Retaining Clips

AE Solar autonomousenergies at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 19:14:45 PST 2016

Wrenchers,

I’m trying to find a 60A 2 Pole Breaker Box that has a compatible
retaining clip. The QO retaining clip (PK2MBCP) seems to only be
compatible with their 4-8 circuit load centers. What are my options?
Thanks!

Thanks

Adam