[RE-wrenches] Strategies for hurricane resistant solar arrays?

Benn Kilburn benn at skyfireenergy.com
Fri Oct 14 08:01:17 PDT 2016

Here is are a couple bare bones suggestion...tweak as needed...

I would avoid permanently closing in the back of the array in any way as it will increase heat build up and reduce efficiency. Have some pre cut materials, ready to go, stashed on the roof that could be attached in short time only when needed.

If the glass is being "sucked out" the front of the frame and the racks and mod frames themselves are proving to be strong then maybe adjust your rack mounting strategy so the number of mods in a row is reduced so that, when hurricanes are forecasted, you can clamp down to the frame or rack (or otherwise attach) a length (or two) of 2" angle aluminum/steel or other suitable material across the front of the mods. The strength of the material would determine how many mods wide it could span.
Line the back of the "hurricane bar" with carpet or other suitable material so not to scratch the glass.

Benn Kilburn
SkyFire Energy Inc.
780-906-7807