[RE-wrenches] Troubleshooting Stumper - Resolved

Matt Partymiller matt at solar-energy-solutions.com
Wed Sep 28 12:28:58 PDT 2016

I wanted to send a quick email and thank everyone for their suggestions
and help.  Dan at Exeltech ultimately spent some time on the phone with me
and his technical acumen was much appreciated - albeit not completely
understood.

We tried just about every solution suggested without any luck.  The only
solution that was successful (beyond wires in free air) was running a
second set of conduit from the roof to inverter and grouping the positives
in one conduit and negatives in the other conduit (a string in each
conduit resulted in same inverter failure mode as before).

Dan's explanation:

'This now has all the symptoms of a resonance condition in the inverter
front end .. which points to a design characteristic in the inverter...

...[The solution] hasn't eliminated the source of the issue .. but has
simply prevented the circumstances that trigger it from being present.

You'll want to get back to the inverter manufacturer and suggest to their
engineers look for an unwanted resonance / oscillation condition at the DC
input.  Despite your having turned off the MPPT function in the inverter,
and the condition still existed .. this hasn't eliminated the inverter as
the culprit.  For example, there is still the consideration of the ramp
rate, which in of itself limits the
slope on the power increase.'

I have installed a lot of Solectria 3800s without seeing this before,
including identical systems.  It sounds like just an unfortunate
circumstance that hopefully we will never encounter again.

Thanks again,

Matt

Matthew Partymiller
Solar Energy Solutions LLC