[RE-wrenches] NiFe batteries

John Blittersdorf john.blittersdorf at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 18:31:05 PDT 2016

Tump,
   One concern with the Aquion batteries is that the recommended lowest
ambient temperature is 40 degrees and they will freeze below 25 degrees F.
I will be installing these batteries in an off grid system in October and I
suggested that the temporary power shed (during construction of the house)
should be insulated and a small propane heater installed to insure that
they don't get too cold.

   One of my customers ordered NiFe batteries directly from China and held
his breath for over 2 months wondering if he would ever see the batteries
arrive.  They are the same battery that Iron Edison sells as their economy
line made in China.
So far they are working fine.  There are 40 batteries in one string
connected to two VFX3648 inverters with 12KW Kohler generator and the solar
is just 24 Evergreen ES-A 210's.  I Installed the batteries for him
(replacing 32 Interstate L16 batteries at their end of life), and found
they were well made, easy to install (came with interconnect plates), and
they appear to be working fine.  I could get more info from the customer if
you need it.  Ask Iron Edison about their Chinese battery.

John Blittersdorf
Rob Stubbins Solar
Rutland, VT