[RE-wrenches] Splices in service panel

Chris Mason cometenergysystems at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 17:22:05 PDT 2016

You have to splice the load cabling in the main panel, otherwise you would
need to run new conduits and cables. There's nothing that I know of that
prevents you splicing wires.
I disagree with the response that you do not need to move the neutrals. You
should never have the load's phase wiring in one panel and the neutral in
another.

On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 8:00 PM, Mac Lewis <maclewis1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello wrenches,
>
> We run into many scenarios where we are locating a critical load panel
> adjacent to an existing service to make it easy to move the loads.  I've
> always taken it for granted (as have the electricians that we use) that we
> can't do a splice in the main panel and extend the load wiring to the
> critical load panel.  Is there code violation for doing a splice in the
> main panel and extending the leads to the critical panel?  You would be
> treating the service panel as a pass-trough/splice box for those critical
> loads.
>
> It makes me wonder because of all of the prewired transfer switch packages
> with wire whips already attached that seem to be designed to do just that.
>
> Code references would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> --
>

> Mac Lewis
>
> *"Yo solo sé que no sé nada." -Sócrates*

> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org

> List rules & etiquette:
> www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm
>
> Check out or update participant bios:

Chris Mason
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer™
Solar Design Engineer
Generac Generators Industrial technician

www.cometsolar.com <http://www.cometenergysystems.com>
264.235.5670
869.662.5670
Skype: netconcepts