[RE-wrenches] Cat 5 cable in 240 AC power conduit with #2 alum entrance wire.

August Goers august at luminalt.com
Mon Aug 22 08:05:07 PDT 2016

John,

I’m assuming that you’ve got a mix of household voltages (120 or 240 volts)
and low voltage cat-5 cable. You can’t do that, here is the code:

*NEC 300.3(C)(1) Conductors of Different Systems. 1000 Volts, Nominal, or
Less.* Conductors of ac and dc circuits, rated 1000 volts, nominal, or
less, shall be permitted to occupy the same equipment wiring enclosure,
cable, or raceway. All conductors shall have an insulation rating equal to
at least the maximum circuit voltage applied to any conductor within the
enclosure, cable, or raceway.

If you have 600 volt rated shielded cat-5 cable you might be okay.

Separately, it sounds like the grid-tied setup you explain below of
disconnecting batteries from the grid when they are full may not be a good
idea either. Normally you would keep batteries topped off and connected to
the grid for a grid-tied battery backup system. Can you elaborate on what
the customer is trying to accomplish by this control scheme?

Best,

August

Luminalt