[RE-wrenches] Standing seam metal roof attachments for copper roof

Shasta Daiku mjmorningstar at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 17:40:21 PDT 2016

Daniel,

My own home has a lot of Corten steel elements, roof, soffits, eaves and some doors. Most everything in contact with the Corten is stainless steel, including fasteners, plumbing vents, and chimney pipe flashing. The one thing that is not SS are the gable end flashings which are copper. Last year I pulled one off because I had not gotten a definitive answer as to the compatibility of Corten and copper and was curious. I found evidence of mild electrolysis on the Corten surface where the two materials made contact. I ended up separating the two surfaces with SS.

Michael