[RE-wrenches] Protecting Asphalt Shingled Roofs

August Goers august at luminalt.com
Fri Jul 29 11:19:21 PDT 2016

Hi James,

Great topic! Minimizing roof wear and tear during installation is a big
deal. We have Yellow Spaghetti mat (
http://www.bestmaterials.com/PDF_Files/yellow-spaghetti-datasheet.pdf) and
carpet scraps. Each has pros and cons. Spaghetti mat is durable and we use
it over and over. It does get slippery when wet and doesn’t have good
enough grip over ~ 26-30 degree pitched roofs. Carpet actually performs
better when wet but it gets heavy and messy. We can also use carpet on
steeper roofs where we actually tie it off to our anchors by making a hole
in the top of the carpet piece and tying a rope to it.

It takes a lot of perseverance to get crews to consistently protect the
roof to the level that is required to minimize damage. It has to be part of
every installation plan just like fall protection.

On hot days we try to get on the roof as early as possible and off the roof
by the time the roof gets warm and soft. One of my colleagues mentioned
that they would spray a roof down with a garden hose to cool it off on hot
days, I  haven’t personally tried that.

August

Luminalt