[RE-wrenches] New Construction Enphase Romex / NM

August Goers august at luminalt.com
Tue Jul 26 11:56:45 PDT 2016

Hi Jason,

We’re in a territory where we can’t run Romex (NM) directly into Soladecks
because of the wet location issue. I actually think inspectors are easing
up on enforcing this particular code grey area, but nonetheless we haven’t
run NM directly into Soladecks. I imagine that using a regular NM cable
clamp connector would work.

When we do run NM, we terminate it in indoors in a permanently accessible
box typically located in the attic or on the ceiling or wall by the roof
penetration location. Then, we run EMT through the roof and to our rooftop
J-box. THWN-2 is run between these two boxes. Then, the microinverter (or
ACPV) wire is spliced to the THWN-2 at the rooftop J-box. Yes, this means
three wire types for each install! We’re using splice cap crimp connectors
for all of our splices which we’re very happy with:
http://www.idealindustries.ca/products/wire_termination/terminals_crimps/crimp_connector_splice_cap.php
- ferrules are available for fine stranded conductors.

August