[RE-wrenches] array overloading of an inverter

Matt Partymiller matt at solar-energy-solutions.com
Wed Jul 13 13:15:41 PDT 2016

Kirk,

I would recommend you consider using a tool like PVsyst or Helioscope to
model DC:AC ratios.  A quick modeling of roughly 200 kW on three Solectria
50 kW inverters shows about 1.3% clipping here.

It then comes down to analysis of your costs for additional modules, dc
wiring, and inverters.

Admittedly I sit on the opposite side of the fence.  I try to provide at
least a 1.2 ratio to minimize cost per kWh.  I am not aware of any large
scale studies comparing PVsyst or Helioscope clipping projections to real
world performance.  I can tell you that our arrays with monitoring and a
~1.2 DC:AC ratio perform as well as our older 1:1 systems.  Not that I use
Enphase often but they have some research/whitepapers on the topic since
their micros tend to undershoot 60 cell module power ratings.

Good luck!

Matt

Matthew Partymiller
Solar Energy Solutions LLC