[RE-wrenches] Sonnen Battery & Outback Radian Inverter

Chris Mason cometenergysystems at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 04:02:02 PDT 2016

On Sat, Jun 18, 2016 at 11:30 PM, Gary Willett <Gary at icarussolarservices.com
> wrote:

> Page 14: I am assuming that the Sonnen system is comprised of the
> components and functionality encompassed in the box in the upper right side
> of figure 2. And the Outback Radian is the inverter used for "F" - the
> "Storage System" inverter?

Correct, although the consumption meter is also included. They supply the
external metering which you have to install externally in the PV supply
cabling.

> Pages 14, 15, and 29: No info on PV array sizing is provided. Does the
> Sonnen design assume that a totally separate grid-tied inverter system
> already exists or must be installed if PV charging is desired?

The PV design depends on the consumption model, how much battery, but they
do advocate no more than 8KW, which is what we are using on the
installation. I think you could use about 4kW quite easily for a ECO16. It
depends on the daily consumption of the home.

> Page 15: The system is AC coupled. When in "Backup Mode" how does the
> Sonnen BMS control charging from the external grid-tied PV inverter system
> once its battery modules are fully charged and the house loads are low?
> Does the Sonnen BMS handle this situation without disconnecting relays or
> frequency-shift throttling?

Frequency shift. It will change the micro-grid frequency to 60.9hz

> Page 15: Is the nomenclature in Figure 2 for the Utility Power Meter "G"
> and the Consumption Meter "D"  reversed?

 G should be "Home". Not sure what they were doing there, I will let them
know.