[RE-wrenches] Generator factory wiring issues

Chris Mason cometenergysystems at gmail.com
Thu May 26 08:26:25 PDT 2016

I would find a way to load test the generator, let it run under load for
four hours. If nothing breaks, you don't need to do anything.

On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 2:39 PM, Kevin Pegg <KPegg at energyalternatives.ca>
wrote:

> Hi Daniel,
>

> Appreciate your thoughts on this.
>

> - This wire is contained inside 2" flexible metallic conduit, approx. 3'
> long from the alternator to the external breaker. Some of it is in free
> air, but most is contained within the conduit.
>
> - the main breaker is a 100% rated 175A.
>
> - This is an industrial generator is rated for continual operation at full
> load, and my expectations is all the wiring in that unit is suited to that.
> Will the site actually draw that? It is entirely possible during heavy
> loads & concurrent battery charging that it could well be running at max
> load for hrs at a time.
>

> The plastic bushing is easy to remedy, as is the ground lug.
>

> The wire is where I am not sure what to do. Everything I am hearing tells
> me that the #4 wire is undersized. So there is a dilemma. If I replace the
> wires myself then I believe I have voided the UL certification. But think
> have made a safer engine for my client. At the end of the day, it will be
> me who the client is calling if there is an issue.
>

> Just for kicks I opened up a couple 25 kW gens and factory wiring was
> either # 2 or # 4 for this same purpose. Hmm.
>

> Kevin

Chris Mason
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer™
Solar Design Engineer
Generac Generators Industrial technician

www.cometsolar.com <http://www.cometenergysystems.com>
264.235.5670
869.662.5670
Skype: netconcepts