[RE-wrenches] Generator factory wiring issues

Daniel Young dyoung at dovetailsolar.com
Wed May 25 07:24:17 PDT 2016

Kevin,

Based on what the engineer said, I think you both make valid points.

On the 4AWG wire:

Type Z wire (150 C insulation) is rated for 190A based on 2014NEC table
310.15(B)(19). It's rated for 120A when in conduit. So is this wire where
you might call it in conduit or free air? I imagine the inside of a
generator enclosure is somewhere in the middle. Also I assume this is Z type
or similar based on the response stating 150 F (I know he meant C) wiring is
used.

Is this on a 175A breaker? If so then it should only pull 140A continuous
(maybe it's a 100% rated breaker?). And that really would not be great for a
generator. Usually we only design for a maximum of 80% loading on a
generator depending on elevation and a few other de-rate factors. In reality
do you expect more than 120A to be a true "continuous" load on this unit. I
don't know the answer, just worth thinking about.

Plastic bushings:

I sure would want them in a vibrating machine like a generator, but if UL
does not force them to, don't expect them to include it. (Capitalism at
work). You might be able to use an electricians trick where you cut a PVC
bushing and slip it over the existing wire, then you can thread it in the
end of the fitting and it is 95% as good as a normally installed bushing.. I
would not do it on a new install, but it's a useful trick when you walk up
on existing mistakes.

Lug:

You could continuity test it to see if it's a good connection, otherwise
that strikes me as no good either. Just another cost saving step for the
manu at the clients expense in my opinion. It'll work fine for now, but not
likely in 5-10yrs as corrosion sets in. I'd just throw a star washer
underneath if possible, but it sounds like the stud is not long enough.

So there is a little bitta' code and a lotta' opinion.

With Regards,

Daniel Young,

NABCEP Certified PV Installation ProfessionalTM: Cert #031508-90