[RE-wrenches] Off-grid generator update?

Mac Lewis maclewis1 at gmail.com
Fri May 6 05:22:01 PDT 2016

Hi Luke,

Speaking to your questions regarding the 14 RESA; yes, the warranty term is
reduced for off-grid use.  It goes to 1000 hr or 18 month whichever comes
first.  We've had decent luck with these units, they are less expensive
than the 6kW EcoGen.  We've had one controller fail and one motor failure,
but that machine was ran very hard and neglected.

Kohler is set up much differently than Generac, they defer tech support to
the master distributor who sells you the unit.  In Colorado, the master
distributor is EC Power out of Denver and they do a decent job having parts
and generators in stock.  I think that you are supposed to be Kohler
certified to do warranty work, but Kohler is more relaxed (and less
organized) than Generac so I bet there may be some flexibility with that,
especially if no one is certified in your area.

With this being said, there is nothing great about this machine, and I'm
looking for something better.

On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 3:04 PM, Bob Ellison <reellison at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have been using a lot of additives in testing.
>

> Best so far is PRI D for diesel with PRI G for gas This is what the treat
> locomotives and freighters with for long term storage. Very concentrated,
> an ounce treats something like 16 gallons.
>
> Best to treat when filling and keep tank full at least while not being
> used. Fill it and park it so to speak. The full tank keeps condensation
> from forming so rapidly.
>

> 2nd would be K 100 MD and MG it has long term storage additives the
> regular K 100 does not have. Good product but the PRI G/D is better
>

> Stabil has not impressed me
>

> Anybody storing fuel wants to be filling the tanks and treating them NOW,
> it will probably not be this low in the fall.
>

> It is nice to pick up the chain saw, mower or tiller and have it start
> with no major headaches after a year layover!
>

> Just from my testing and experience,
>

> Bob Ellison

Mac Lewis

*"Yo solo sé que no sé nada." -Sócrates*