[RE-wrenches] Diesel Generators

Dana dana at solarwork.com
Thu May 5 08:37:08 PDT 2016

Diesel engines are high compression (500-600 PSI) machines, therefore:

1.    Moisture must be kept to a minimum to prevent ferro-oxy (rust) damage to rings & cylinder walls.

2.    Fuel is subject to gelling if not correctly treated for low temps.

3.    There are certain types of slime that will grow over time in untreated fuel resulting in clogged filters and plugged injectors.

4.    Water in the fuel is a really bad thing, & fuel filters need water separators.

5.    Fuel tanks absorb more moisture if not kept full; this is a function of any atmospheric pressure & temperature changes.

6.    Ice up in a fuel lime is a mess to deal with. There is nothing like running a torch on a copper line full of a combustible fuel at -20°F on a starry night, it’s so romantic.

7.    Low temps mean preheating or glow plugs and a warm up period before loading up a cold engine.

That said if you of your client is willing to put up with a diesel or is in a mild climate, diesels do produce the most watts per gallon. They are just not for everyone.

I compared the cost of diesel to LPG for my next backup generator off grid home in ID. Diesel Off-road was $3.60 per gallon & LPG was $2.25/ gallon. This was a year ago and at a $1.35/ gallon difference, & the diesel route was not the most economical way to go. I would be curious as to what the difference is in other areas.

Dana Orzel

Great Solar Works, Inc -  NABCEP # 051112-136

E - dana at solarwork.com  - Web - solarwork.com

O - 970.626.5253  C - 208.721.7003

"Responsible Technologies for Responsible People since 1988"