[RE-wrenches] Off-grid generator update?

Mac Lewis maclewis1 at gmail.com
Thu May 5 05:41:13 PDT 2016

Hi Wrenches,

I do like that the Gillette generator starter battery can be effectively
charged with a 20W solar panel.  That's is a big bonus.  There are a couple
of problems though. We have seen a disproportionate failure of the
rotor/stator assembly on these, much higher than Kohler, Generac and
Cummins units.  This is (probably) due to the high-voltage brushless design
on the exciter ckt, but maybe there was a quality problem in other parts of
the can.  They offer pretty good, consistent tech support (seems like only
one guy answers the phone), but with engine issues they punt to the engine
manufacturer which is worthless.

I think the best generator depends on your area and application.  It also
depends on who is around to offer technical support and service to your
customer.  We have a great industrial generator tech in our area, who gives
us over-the-phone advice all of the time, but he is usually working on
commercial and industrial sites and can't get to these off-grid residences
in a timely manner (usually 3 months out).  We decided to get certified on
Kohler and Generac, not really because we wanted to, but more out of
necessity for our area for our off-grid customers.  Of the two, we prefer
Kohler slightly because they have a better product and parts distribution
system in our area.  Generac has much more logical service manuals though.
In general, Kohler manuals are a mess, but we've had decent luck with the
14RESA as our go to off-grid generator.  We are always looking for
something better though...

Thanks

On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 5:13 AM, Tump <tump at swnl.net> wrote:

> FYI the;  Onan "Command Mobil" IS available wired in either straight 120
> OR 120/240, this is the 7k derated to 6.5 when using propane. It is small
> but does offer a good reliable choice. It does require a stand and I will
> use a 90* cold air duct to move the exhaust air away from the intake. That
> being said this has ALWAYS been quite problematic with in the industry
> especially now w/ CA. ARB regs and EPA regs. odd that one can install a
> diesel easier then a propane gen set.
>
> On May 4, 2016, at 1:30 PM, Allan Sindelar <allan at sindelarsolar.com>
> wrote:
>
> Lena and all,
> I was watching this thread closely, as I have shared your concerns and I
> was hoping to hear of any new solutions. In this thread I hear of Gillette
> (always positively over the years that this question has come up), one
> 5.5kW Onan RV set (120V only and too small for all but an Outback VFX at
> close to sea level), and Hardy diesel units. I have nothing to add to these
> suggestions.
>
> I went out on a limb a few years ago in suggesting the Generac EcoGen,
> hoping that this would fill this need and restore Generac as a worthy name.
> I think now I have to just say "eh..." - yes, it works, but too many
> problems have been noted here, and Generac's dealer support system is
> poorly suited to the off grid market.
>
> Thank you to all who replied.
> Allan
>
> *Allan Sindelar*
> <allan at sindelarsolar.com>allan at sindelarsolar.com
> NABCEP Certified PV Installation Professional
> NABCEP Certified Technical Sales Professional
> New Mexico EE98J Journeyman Electrician
> Founder (Retired), Positive Energy, Inc.
> *505 780-2738 <505%20780-2738> cell*
>

> On 4/28/2016 10:19 AM, Lena Wilensky wrote:
>
> I did some searches on the list for what folks are doing for off-grid
> propane generators these days, but all the threads I found were from 5-6
> yrs ago, so I was hoping to get some more current info.
>
> We're looking for about a 10kw+ propane unit (big derate at altitude), and
> we run into 2 main problem areas:
>
> First is the warranty - either there are no units warranteed for off-grid
> use, or there are only a couple of models and the warranty is short (1
> year).
>
> Second, and perhaps larger, is all the loads that now come with the
> "off-grid" units.  The computer takes some, but mostly the "cold weather
> kit" aka carb heater must be installed in our climate (to actually start,
> but also for warrantee), and it's set up to be on a thermostat (read: "on
> all the time from Nov-April" here in the mountains).  According to the
> Kohler tech support it takes a steady 50W. We have set up older units to do
> battery charge only during the day, and have the carb heater on a manual
> switch, but it sounds like we can't really get at these circuits anymore
> since they're all pre-configured and pre-wired in the guts of the genset
> [...]

Mac Lewis

*"Yo solo sé que no sé nada." -Sócrates*