[RE-wrenches] Outback programing question

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Fri Apr 29 19:41:53 PDT 2016

Hi Jay;

Ah, its for load shedding.  How come the max input amps setting doesn't
limit the total power drawn from the generator?  That should throttle
back the charging rate to maintain full power thru to the loads.
Giving the batteries a 56 v for 5 min and dropping back to float
wouldn't constitute a cycle,  its really more like the refloat setting
on Outback equipment.  It actually should bring the batteries a few %
closer to a true full charge every day without overheating the cells.
I agree programming every inverter separately is a pain, not something
the customer would want to do.  (I'm still waiting for that app that
lets us set up systems with a laptop or phone)
Good luck, please post your solution.

R.Ray Walters
CTO, Solarray, Inc
Nabcep Certified PV Installer,
Licensed Master Electrician
Solar Design Engineer
303 505-8760

On 4/29/2016 6:19 PM, jay wrote:
> Hi Ray,
>
> I guess my answer is that its way easier to switch one button with easy access than go deep into the menus and have to change 4 inverters.
> This situation is a short term thing.  In this case it is an issue as the generator cannot handle both the chargers and the load. And he doesn’t want and I agree to have an additional cycle on the batteries when they don’t need it.
>
> I’m working with OB to find out why this is happening.
>
> Thanks
>
> jay
>
> peltz power
>
>> On Apr 29, 2016, at 11:07 AM, Ray Walters <ray at solarray.com> wrote:
>>
>> What's wrong with the chargers being on?  Just set the charge settings (absorb 56 v, and absorb time 5 minutes) fairly low. It will lightly charge for a few minutes, and then go to float.
>> Just because your customer imagines this to be a problem, doesn't mean it actually is.  Its not going to hurt the batteries or use excessive fuel to go through a little refresh charge like this, and if the batteries actually are low, these charge settings will be helpful.
>>
>> R.Ray Walters
>> CTO, Solarray, Inc
>> Nabcep Certified PV Installer,
>> Licensed Master Electrician
>> Solar Design Engineer
>> 303 505-8760
>>
>> On 4/29/2016 11:56 AM, Darren Emmons wrote:
>>> When the generator is auto started, the inverter's charger will be enabled. After the generator is stopped, the inverter's charger will be returned to the mode before the generator started. The logic is if you are running the generator the Inverter's charger should be enabled. You could lower the charger AC limit to 0 Amps.
>>>
>>> 08:00 Inverter charger OFF
>>> 10:00 Must run start -> charger ON