[RE-wrenches] Shading from Overhead Transmission Lines

Rebekah Hren rebekah.hren at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 14:41:54 PST 2016

I'd be more worried about  induced current/voltage on metal/conductors in
the PV array, which seems like it could cause issues with GFP devices, and
possibly unsafe conditions. I worked on one large array (5 MW) where the
point of interconnection was parallel to / under high voltage lines. Even
when the PV system wasn't operating there was measurable current on the PV
system conductors induced from the high voltage lines above. The utility
nearly wouldn't let the system be allowed to interconnect, because we had
trouble proving the anti-islanding was working as current was still flowing
when the utility supply was disconnected (on the lower voltage not higher
voltage lines).
Rebekah

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 4:18 PM, Jerry Shafer <jerrysgarage01 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> We have both GT and off grid in the shadow lines, because of the distance
> away, diameter of the wire and also the sun have not seen any issues that
> will warrent micro inverters. All that said, its a moving target and if the
> wires are very close then it will be more of an issue.
> Something else to ponder can you in fact install under HV transmission
> lines in your area.
> Jerry
> On Feb 24, 2016 5:50 AM, "Paul Lyons" <Lyons at zapotecenergy.com> wrote:
>
>> Hell RE-Wrenches –
>>

>> Do any of you have experience with locating ground-mounted PV systems
>> under high-voltage transmission lines? We have an electric utility client
>> who would like to use some of its land underneath its HV transmission lines
>> to install PV. Is the shadow cast be the overhead wires significant enough
>> to affect the string voltages in the array? Should we go with
>> micro-inverters?
>>

>> Thank you,
>>

>> Paul Lyons, P.E.
>>
>> Zapotec Energy Inc.
>>
>> 675 Massachusetts Ave
>>
>> Cambridge, MA 02139-3309
>>
>> Tel: 617-547-5900  ext.201
>>
>> Email: Lyons at ZapotecEnergy.com
>>
>> Web: www.ZapotecEnergy.com

>> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org

>> List rules & etiquette:
>> www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm
>>
>> Check out or update participant bios:
>> www.members.re-wrenches.org

> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org

> List rules & etiquette:
> www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm
>
> Check out or update participant bios:

Tel: 336.266.8800
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installation Professional™ 091209-85
NC Licensed Electrical Contractor