[RE-wrenches] SMA 5.0/6.0US

Dan Fink danbob88 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 04:34:30 PST 2016

Wrenches, please correct me if I am off-base here;

The way I am reading the SMA product info literature is that the BAT relay
cnx is for the new up-and-coming 2kW SMA Lithium battery intended for
grid-tie load shaving or short-period battery backup (just like the new
ones from enphase, tesla, etc) somehow in combination with the SMA daytime
Secure Power Supply, and that the BAT cnx can also be used for true
off-grid operation with a Sunny Island inverter added in the basement next
to the battery bank.

This all reminds me of the never-ending TV ads for ED meds..."Ask your PV
professional if your system is healthy enough for battery backup. If you
experience a grid outage lasting longer than 4 hours, contact your PV
professional immediately." Except the doctors get their CEUs for free to
learn how to diagnose and prescribe those meds, we have to pay all travel,
lodging and workshop expenses to learn how to responsibly sell, install and
retrofit PV systems for grid tie battery backup.

Questions about these retrofits are taking up an ever increasing portion of
my allotted "free consulting" time for potential customers. I wish somebody
offered a NABCEP accredited master class about it with all the gory details.

Dan Fink
Adjunct Professor, Ecotech Institute
IREC Certified Instructor™ for:
~ PV Installation Professional
~ Small Wind Installer
Executive Director, Buckville Energy
NABCEP Accredited Continuing Education Providers™
970.672.4342