[RE-wrenches] Fwd: Solar Edge Optimizer failures

Rebekah Hren rebekah.hren at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 09:13:21 PST 2016

Hi Lena,
That's really interesting, thanks for sharing. What I'm curious about is
why the arc-fault detection in the SolarEdge inverter didn't detect  any
problem before the optimizers failed...as this sounds like an  arc-faulting
situation. I wonder if it has to do with where exactly the fault happens,
on the PV/module  side of the optimizer, rather than the higher voltage
inverter input circuit? I've been told that arcing fault noise signatures
can be detected  across electronics, but I don't  really know if that is
true. Since the NEC doesn't require arc-fault protection on the <80V
circuit, there isn't a Code issue regardless, but I'm curious to find out
more about this.
Best,
Rebekah

On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 6:11 PM, Lena Wilensky <lena at nunatakenergy.com>
wrote:

> Thanks for the input on SolarEdge.  We finally sorted the issue out.
> Turns out somehow we got the wrong optimizers from our distributor - the
> details are a bit cloudy since it was over a year ago.  But the short is we
> had optimizers with Amphenol connectors, and "Hosiden" brand MC4 connectors
> on the REC modules.  Apparently (we were told by the distributor at the
> time of install) that Amphenol and MC4 mate just fine.  And we got
> confirmation from Solar Edge that they usually do mate fine.  But the
> Hosiden brand MC4 that comes on the REC modules are about 1/100" off from
> MC4 brand MC4's, and while they mate great with MC4 brand (this is all
> documented), they are a bit wide for Amphenol and will heat and stretch
> over time and eventually create a small short in the connector, effectively
> frying the optimizer.
>
> So even with manufacturer's and distributor's blessings we will only be
> using matching brands of connectors from now on!  I have to say that our
> lower level tech support from SE was a bit lacking this time around, but
> once we got moved to the higher level team they were great.  Took a bit of
> kicking and screaming (and 3 trips to swap out failed optimizers) to get
> there, though.  Thankfully it seems like SE still has a good track record
> of reliability even in our neighborhood!
>
> Lena
>
> -----------------------
>
> We?ve had a similar experience as Carl has on this. We have 929 kW of SE
> up and running (mix of commercial and residential, so roughly 2000 actual
> optimizers) with only a handful of DOA?s or infant mortalities (total of
> maybe 10-15 so far). Service is reimbursed just like you say (does not
> truly cover the cost, unless the job is next door). But it has not happened
> enough, or in any sort of pattern for us to have gotten riled up about it
> so far.
>

> Daniel Young,
>
> NABCEP Certified PV Installation ProfessionalTM: Cert #031508-90

Tel: 336.266.8800
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installation Professional™ 091209-85
NC Licensed Electrical Contractor