[RE-wrenches] LiFePO4; WAS Availability of Powerwall Batteries

Dan Fink danbob88 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 15:57:09 PST 2016

Marco;
Winter storms, hurricanes, earthquakes, tornados, floods, etc. - backup
power. Maybe load shaving as the utilities get more persnickety on time of
use upcharges.

Of course for most folks, an infernal combustion generator is far more cost
effective than batteries. But for an extended grid outage and with a
critical loads subpanel installed, PV charges on sunny days, generators
still need fuel which may be in short supply or inaccessible.
So, preppers. Most are surprised at how little autonomy time they get from
a really expensive battery bank, but if it's TEOTWAWKI at least their solar
"fuel" is free, minus the amortized cost of the battery bank. I get lots of
phone calls from preppers who really need lithium prescribed by their
psychologist far more than they need it in a backup battery bank......

 Lithium batteries seem impressive on how long they can sit unused / float
with no degradation, but I'd rather let all y'all be the guinea pigs on
them for awhile. I'm doing my part by guinea pigging NiFe batteries off the
grid. So far, so good, and darned glad I now know their ins and outs
compared to lead acid. I would have been horribly embarrassed if I'd done
my first NiFe battery bank for a customer instead of for myself....I chose
NiFe here simply because of decades of historical data, I don't trust
Lithium yet for longevity, but thanks Larry C and others on this list who
have been doing lithium batteries for years and reporting their results
here.

This Wrenches List is the gold standard of good information!

Dan Fink
Adjunct Professor, Ecotech Institute
IREC Certified Instructor™ for:
~ PV Installation Professional
~ Small Wind Installer
Executive Director, Buckville Energy
NABCEP Accredited Continuing Education Providers™
970.672.4342