[RE-wrenches] Trojan L-16 charge settings

Dave dave at independentpowerllc.com
Tue Jan 19 07:06:13 PST 2016

William,

Sounds like the Trojan rep

#1 Doesn't know off-grid equipment if they are giving you a different voltage for absorption than the bulk voltage setting.

#2 Says that "Absorb Time needs to be increased, maybe from 3 hours up to 4 or 5 hours" - that is unrealistic for day to day off-grid PV charging. Sounds like Trojan is covering their butt by telling you to do unrealistic stuff.

                And "1.270 to 1.280 for SG" is really high and only obtainable if Trojan is loading their new cells with electrolyte that strong (not what they have usually been doing).

I vary the settings I program for off-grid systems (and often recommend changing settings for winter vs non-winter pv charging). Typically 29.6/59.2 Bulk-Absorb, 27.2/54.4 Float and 31/62 EQ as a starting point for wet cells.

The biggest determinants of success as I see it are: A) high enough Charge Rate of PV to rated storage of batteries. B) regular logging of SG readings, all cells. C) good back-up generator/charger set up and the knowledge of when and how to use it.

BTW for those newer to wet cell Lead Acid batteries, manufacturer's can tweak the performance of their deep cycle batteries by varying the strength of the electrolyte -  1.265 has been typical for true deep cycle storage batteries for many years.

If you want a battery to have more amp hours of storage and perform well in initial testing then you could increase the strength of the electrolyte to 1.275 or so. BUT these cells will not last as long (all else being equal) because the increased acidity will degrade the plates quicker. I have some German made Hoppecke LA cells in my barn/shop system that were intentionally made with weak electrolyte to enhance the lifetime of the cells. They are 1.240 SG electrolyte. These batteries are 19 years old now and have never given me a peep of trouble. I expect them to last for many more years.

                Back in the late 80's and early 90's there was an electric car rally/race here in New England (American Tour de Sol) where the early winners gained a competitive advantage by removing about 1/3rd of the electrolyte from their  L-16 or T-105 batteries and replaced it with straight sulfuric acid. I don't remember what the SG of this new "Race Mix" was but the racers who did this performance enhancement would typically outperform the field enough to be the top finishers. After a couple of years the word got out and judges spot checked initial SG's to level the playing field. The racers would correct the SG in the batteries after the race and they would sell the batteries at a great discount into the off-grid market.

Some of you will remember that Trojan several years ago was selling their new off-grid Industrial batteries with a lower SG mix of about 1.25 as I remember. Good intentions for a long lived battery. BUT the market had trouble dealing with the low SG and Trojan decided they were spending too much time educating dealers and consumers on this issue, so they changed to a higher SG after the first couple of years.

                If Trojan has gone to a stronger electrolyte now, I think that this is not a good sign and it will lead to their batteries failing sooner.

Dave

(semi-retired and not minding it, at all)

David Palumbo

Independent Power LLC

462 Solar Way Drive

Hyde Park, VT 05655